AA Action Terms & Conditions
Please do take the necessary time to read our terms and conditions carefully and familiarise yourself with them.
If anything is unclear, don’t hesitate to phone our Customer Care department on 0861 000 234.
As a valued AA Member, we’ll be happy to guide and advise you.
The listed terms have the following related meanings:
AA: The Automobile Association of South Africa.
Accident: Damage to body panels or the undercarriage, wheels or suspension because of a collision with another vehicle, a pothole or an object. If mechanical or electrical failure caused the accident, or the vehicle caught on fire, we consider the incident to be an accident.
Breakdown: An occasion when your vehicle cannot be driven as a result of an electrical or mechanical failure, a flat tyre or out of fuel situation.
Insurable risk: Vehicles that require a tow for an accident, attempted theft or vandalism as well as recovered stolen vehicles. These are not classified as breakdowns.
Member: The individual principal Member in whose name the AA Membership is maintained.
Membership Card: The card issued by the AA to the Member, reflecting the Membership number.
Membership Year: The 12-month period covered by the Member’s subscription.
Round trip: The distance from the nearest tow provider’s yard, to the scene of the breakdown, to the drop off point and back to the depot or tow provider’s yard, or standpoint.
Rural: Any area that is not urban as per the definition.
Spouse: A Member, eligible for a discounted subscription, living at the same address as his/her spouse or partner who is a principal Member.
Subscription: The annual payment required to remain a Member of the AA.
Tow provider: The AA tow truck or AA approved tow contractor.
Urban: Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London, Bloemfontein, Nelspruit, Pietermaritzburg and Durban.
Vehicle: A motorcar, motorbike, caravan, trailer, 4x4 or light commercial vehicle (LCV), with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of less than 3,5 tons, which can be legally used on South African public roads. This does not include taxis and vehicles used for business purposes. Vehicles must be in a roadworthy condition.
We/us/our: Related to the AA.
You/your: Related to the Member.
EMERGENCY RESCUE SERVICES
You must phone our 24-hour Emergency Call Centre for assistance on 0861 000 234. Calls are recorded for your protection and for training purposes.
Payment for any service is not guaranteed unless prior authorisation has been obtained and you quote the AA Case Reference Number.
Roadside Repair Services:
Roadside repair services are limited to minor or temporary repairs to get the vehicle on the road again and does not replace the need for permanent repairs and regular servicing.
Roadside assistance entitlements:
- AA Advantage Plus Members - 5 assistances per 12 month subscription
- AA Advantage Members - 5 assistances per 12 month subscription
- AA Alliance Members - 3 assistances per 12 month subscription
- AA Action Members - 2 assistances per 12 month subscription
We will charge any additional assistances at exclusive AA Member rates. Unused assistances at the end of a subscription year are forfeited and are not carried forward into the next subscription year.
You must provide us with the correct location of your vehicle and enough information on the vehicle being towed. Incorrect or incomplete information may cause a delay in the provision of services and could result in additional costs for your account.
In the event of an assistance, you must remain with the vehicle and produce your AA Membership card and proof of identification when the service vehicle arrives.
Where any breakdown case needs the use of more than one of our resources, such as a road patrol, battery patrol, locksmith or tow provider, we will count these as a single assistance.
Once we have provided assistance for a breakdown, we consider any subsequent assistance for the same breakdown a separate incident.
If you cancel the assistance after we have dispatched the service vehicle, this is still regarded as an assistance.
If you call on more than one occasion for the same problem, each request will count as an assistance.
If you are not at the vehicle when we arrive and we cannot provide service, this will count as one assistance, and we will not be liable for any damage. If the vehicle is unattended when the tow truck or patrol vehicle arrives, it may leave the scene.
in all the above instances, you may have to cover AA approved tow contractor costs and request a refund (see section on refunds).
Should this be a long distance tow (greater than 40 km) the additional km's travelled will be for your account.
Should you breakdown with your pet, the AA will transport your pet in the AA tow truck cabin provided your pet can be placed into a proper transporting cage. Should this not be possible, your pet will be required to travel in your vehicle. In the event that you are incapacitated, the AA will coordinate the rescue of your pet from the breakdown scene in conjunction with the SPCA and inform you of your pet's whereabouts as soon as possible. Although every effort will be made to ensure your pet's safety, the responsibility for your pet's well-being remains with you.
Areas we cover:
We provide services in South Africa.
Should the breakdown occur in Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana or Namibia, we will arrange for the vehicle to be towed to the nearest place of safety or repair, subject to the availability of a suitable AA approved tow contractor.
You must pay the tow provider for the tow and request a refund from the AA of up to R 643 (incl VAT) on your return to South Africa.
Roadside security is available to Members who specifically subscribe to the service, in conjunction with a roadside assistance, and only in certain urban areas in South Africa, subject to the availability of our AA tow contractor. Please refer to AA Stand By You Terms and Conditions
We also provide AA Mayday emergency medical rescue if you travel to Lesotho and Swaziland and if it is medically justifiable. Please refer to AA Mayday Terms and Conditions
We provide roadside assistance as soon as possible in response to your request. We do not guarantee response times, which vary depending on location, traffic, road conditions, weather conditions and the demand for assistance at the time of your request.
ROAD PATROL SERVICES
Road patrol services are only available in urban areas and exclude motorbikes. In instances where an AA resource is not available one of our AA approved contractors may be used. If assistance for your vehicle exceeds the 40km round trip distance, the additional mileage will be for your account and will be charged at our preferential AA rate per kilometre.
Keys locked in vehicle:
If keys are locked in the vehicle we will arrange for an AA patrolman or locksmith to attend. Where the services of a locksmith are needed to open the car or boot, you will be entitled to claim reimbursement of labour costs up to an amount of R 415 (incl VAT).
Where we pay the locksmith directly, any additional labour costs or kilometres charged by the locksmith will be for your account. We will not refund locksmith charges for the repair/replacement of locks, ignition switches or key cutting. Should a tow be necessary, your normal tow benefits will apply.
Flat tyre change:
We will attempt to repair or change your tyre on-site.
Where necessary, we will tow the vehicle in accordance with your Membership benefit entitlements.
We are not responsible for damage should your tyres or rims be damaged, because the tyres are flat, or as a result of pothole or other damage.
If your vehicle runs out of fuel at a location other than a filling station, we will supply up to10 litres of fuel to reach the nearest petrol garage. If necessary, we will provide a tow to the nearest petrol garage within your Membership benefit entitlement.
If your vehicle’s battery cannot be jump-started, our battery patrols can sell and fit a new battery on-the -spot.
The mobile battery replacement service is subject to availability and in urban areas only. All batteries come with a national 24-month battery guarantee.
If your vehicle breaks down and cannot be repaired on-the-spot, we will tow your vehicle to the nearest place of safety or repair within a 40 km round trip.
The first night’s storage is free to AA Members, and any storage requirement over and above this will be for your account.
In instances where an AA tow truck is not available one of our AA approved contractors may be used.
In exceptional circumstances, where specialised recovery or salvage equipment is needed, the cost of equipment and labour will be for your account.
We are not responsible for damages caused to the vehicle. Any tow not arranged through the AA’s 24-hour call centre will be for your account.
If a tow for your vehicle is in excess of the 40 km round trip distance for which you are eligible, the excess distance will be for your account, and will be charged at our preferential AA per kilometre towing rate.
We can assist you in arranging additional transport for passengers who cannot be accommodated in the tow truck, for your account.
REFUND OF CHARGES
Refund of towing charges:
In rural areas, if you are required to pay tow charges in full directly to our AA approved tow contractor, we will refund only that portion of the charge, which you paid up to the amount calculated by:
- Calculating the round trip distance
- Multiplying this distance by our preferential per kilometre towing rates plus VAT
We will cover up to a maximum of R 643 (incl. VAT) per tow.
Refund if locksmith charges:
Where the services of a locksmith are needed to open the car or boot, you will be entitled to claim reimbursement of costs up to a minimum of R415 (incl. VAT).
Claims can be posted to:
PO Box 30168
Or faxed to 086 524 2251, alternatively it can be handed in at the nearest AA Accredited Sales Agent store. All claims must quote your AA Case Reference Number and include our AA approved contractor's receipted invoice displaying the contractor's VAT number. If the receipted invoice is not available you may submit an affidavit confirming the incident and the amount paid by you.
The following are not covered:
EXTENDED BENEFITS THAT APPLY 100 KM OR MORE FROM YOUR HOME:
The extended benefits provide extensive cover anywhere in South Africa for you and up to four passengers travelling with you, when your vehicle breaks down, is stolen, or is involved in a collision more than 100 km from home. The cost for these benefits will be for your own account, if you are not an AA Advantage Plus Member. Should your roadside emergency occur more than 100 km from home and your vehicle cannot be repaired the same day, the AA’s Emergency Call Centre will determine and manage the most appropriate benefits combination from the following available options:
We will arrange for overnight accommodation, subject to availability, for you and up to four passengers travelling with you. The cost for this benefit will be for your own account.
If you prefer to continue your journey, or to return home, we will arrange transportation to help you reach your destination by the most direct route. If car hire is the most suitable arrangement, a group ‘B’ vehicle will be hired for up to a maximum of 24 hours. The car hire service provider’s terms and conditions will apply. The cost for this benefit will be for your own account.
Long distance towing:
Where the repair of your vehicle will take several days, the Emergency Call Centre will apply set criteria to determine whether we will provide a long distance tow in place of providing overnight accommodation or transportation. If the tow exceeds the 40 km round trip distance, you will be eligible for the excess distance at our preferential AA towing rate per kilometre of R7.70 including VAT (valid for 2015 only).
Collecting your vehicle:
If you opted to use the accommodation or car rental benefit during your incident, we will arrange for you to hire a vehicle, for up to 24 hours, to collect your vehicle once it has been confirmed that your vehicle has been repaired, provided the place of repair is more than 100km from your home. The cost for this benefit will be for your own account. The choice of car hire supplied or alternative transportation is at the discretion of the AA Emergency Call Centre and is subject to availability.
Please see the terms and conditions for car hire service providers that will apply.
Car hire service provider terms and conditions:
The car hire service provider’s terms and conditions will apply, these require that you:
- are over age 23 years
- have an active credit card
- have a valid and applicable Driver’s Licence
- The car hire company may also require you to pay a fuel deposit.
- You will be required to return the car with a full tank of fuel, or be liable for the cost of refuel at the service provider’s rates.
- The hired car must be returned to the depot from which it was collected in order to avoid additional charges, which will be for your account.
- Should you be involved in a collision with the hired car, you will be liable for the insurance excess.
- Should you require the hired car for commuting purposes for longer than the initial 24 hours, you must enter into a new car rental contract with the car hire company, for your personal account, at a preferential rate.
1. AA Membership:
- AA Membership and benefits are non-refundable, non-transferable and personal to you. Membership entitlements do not cover incidents that happened before you joined us.
- We reserve the right to deny services to any Member who, in the AA’s opinion is, or has been, abusive, threatening or violent toward any AA staff member, or who attempts to receive service by deception, with no requirement to refund. AA Membership is personal and does not automatically cover your spouse and dependants, who should become Members in their own right.
2. Resolving disputes:
- We accept no liability for loss or damage to the vehicle or any of its components or accessories or contents while it is unattended, or while in the custody or under the control of any service provider or repairer.
- We will assist you in every way possible, including telephonic legal advice, to resolve disputes with our AA approved tow contractors where loss or damage may have occurred while the vehicle was in their care.
- We carefully select our service providers for value added services, but cannot guarantee quality of service.
- These service providers are not our agents or employees.
- We cannot be held responsible for their actions or omissions, or for any damage caused by their performance or failure to perform.
- Where there is a need for clarification of terms and conditions or relating to your entitlements, our interpretation will be final.
3. Right to amend benefits, terms and conditions:
We constantly strive to provide new and improved services to you. We reserve the right to amend the terms, conditions and benefits, including changing third party service providers. We will notify Members of material amendments in our Member communications
4. Up to date subscription:
Your subscription must be up to date for you to be eligible to use your Membership.
5. Cancellation of Membership:
Should you wish to discontinue your Membership benefits, please provide 30 days notice prior to your Membership anniversary date to avoid any cancellation fees.
- Members who have taken out AA Membership as a result of a direct marketing offer have the right to cancel their Membership in writing within five business days of the date on which the Membership agreement was concluded.
- The following refund policy will apply for Members cancelling within the five day period:
- If the Member has utilised the AA’s assistance within the five day period, the Member will receive a full refund of the total Membership fee paid, less the AA’s charges for assistance provided.
- If the Member did not utilise the AA’s assistance, the Member will receive a full refund of the total Membership fee.
- The Member must not, in any event, make further use of the cancelled Membership.
- Please note that there will be no separate or additional cooling off period(s) during the Membership year, regardless of any changes that are made to the Membership.
- AA Membership is a 12-month subscription product and is activated from the date payment is received.
- AA Members will be notified in writing through the mail, between 40 and 80 days of their approaching Membership renewal date, irrespective of their preferred payment method.
- Please ensure your contact details are kept up to date by calling 0861 000 234, or click here to update your details.
- Members who wish to cancel within their current 12-month subscription period must provide 30 business days notice in writing, and will remain liable for any amounts incurred in the rendering of services during the current Membership subscription period, as well as a cancellation fee, which will be calculated at the time of cancellation.
- Members who have selected an annual or monthly debit order payment method will be automatically renewed on a month to month or annual basis until cancelled by the Member.
6. Debit Orders:
In instances where your initial debit order was unsuccessful, we'll advise you of the rejected debit order through an SMS and automatically re-submit the debit order on the next debit order run (1st, 15th and 25th) to ensure your service continuity. Unfortunately, any bank charge penalty imposed will not be refundable from the AA.
7. Your privacy rights:
- We hold your personal information securely and will not disclose it to any other person or organisation unless authorised by you.
- We have the right to access and correct the information at any time.
- As an AA Member you agree to abide by our terms and conditions.
- Your details will be used for administrative purposes, and to provide you with information relating to products and services from time to time.
- Where you are a Spouse Member, we may offer products and services to both of you in the household jointly, or singly.
- For this purpose, we include ourselves and any division, subsidiary, third party under contract or joint venture companies including AA Insurance.
ERRORS AND OMISSIONS EXCEPTED.