Know your Car and Save
Today’s motorists are not encouraged to know much about the inner workings of their own cars, and have come to rely upon dealerships and motor plans to keep their cars in perfect working order. However, high interest rates and the increased cost of living make it worthwhile to learn the basics of vehicle technology which can be applied when making purchase decisions as well as understanding and if necessary challenging the costs of vehicle maintenance.
The AA Technical College has launched the Know your car training course, designed to give motorists the knowledge they need to keep vehicle maintenance costs down. Anybody with little or no understanding of vehicle technology can participate in this two evening course and leave with a basic understanding of how their vehicle works.
The course includes the following modules:
- The basic principles of drive trains: front, rear and all-wheel drive and their respective benefits
- The basic working principles of a four-stroke engine and manual gearbox
- Conventional braking systems, components and functions
- Tyres and tyre maintenance, the importance of tyre specifications and routine maintenance, as well as changing a tyre
- Understanding the components and importance of air bags, their safety aspects, how and when they should deploy, the consequences of fitting accessories to air bag areas and the correct fitment of child safety seats
- Latest technology updates, such as the benefit of new tyre technology, night vision and their benefits
- Vehicle servicing. The importance of service intervals, components replaced during services and their life expectancy. Items covered under warranty and reasons for the exclusion of some items. An understanding of billing and the content of an invoice, including parts and labour
- Long trip inspection and emergency tool kit. Understanding the importance of checking your vehicle prior to a trip and what a good emergency tool kit should comprise. A description of some useful products available in the marketplace and what components need to be checked.
The course runs over two evenings from 17h00 to 21h00 at the AA Technical College in Midrand and costs R 400 excl VAT per person.
For more information and bookings, contact Maria Mthimkulu on +27 (011) 347-9304.