Lebombo and Ressano Garcia Border Post Operational Hours over the Festive Period

The Lebombo and Ressano Garcia Border Posts opened for 24 hours with effect from Thursday the 1st of December 2011 and will continue to operate for 24 hours until midnight on Monday the 16th of January 2012.

Please note that this period carries the highest volume of holiday, business and tourist travel and it is very likely that there will be delays if you are crossing the border. However, the expected Peak Periods will be from 22 - 24 December 2011 as well as on the 02 - 04 January 2012, and travellers are advised to plan their trips carefully to avoid the long queues.

 CLICK HERE to view Lebombo and Ressano Garcia Border crossing procedures.

Maputo Corridor Logistics Initiative (MCLI) requests that all stakeholders take note of the following:

  • Travellers to Mozambique are required by law to carry a ZA sticker, reflective vest and two red emergency triangles.
  • No animals or pets whatsoever are permitted to be carried across the border.
  • Transport operators from South Africa who are moving across the border are required to have permits issued by the Cross-Border Road Transport Agency (CBRTA). For enquiries in this regard, call the CBRTA on +27 (0) 348 1357 and for any complaints or tip-offs relating to corruption, call 0800 000 594.

Clearance of Travellers

Lebombo Port of Entry (POE) will clear people travelling in buses, taxis and bakkies (only if they have more than 6 passengers) at the Komatipoort Commercial Facility (7km before the main Port of Entry) from 13 - 25 December 2011. It is signposted as the Lebombo Border Dry Port.

Other Ports of Entry will clear people at their main and outside buildings where applicable.

Port of Entry Requirement (RSA side)

  • No individual is allowed to import or export firearm(s) without a permit.
  • All South African registered vehicles to be taken to Mozambique or Swaziland should have the following documentation:
    • Vehicle Registration Documents,
    • Where the vehicle is financed by the bank, SAPS and SARS Customs will require a letter from the financial institution/bank authorising the driver to take the vehicle out of the country,
    • Where the vehicle is owned by a company, SAPS and SARS Customs will require a letter on the company letterhead authorising the driver to take the vehicle out of the country. This should include the vehicle's insurance.
  • Emergency passports will not be issued at the Ports during the Festive period. Passports are issued at Home Affairs offices in various towns/cities. No person including children will be allowed through the port of entry without a valid passport (at least one page of the passport should be unused) - Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
  • Foreigners entering South Africa should have a passport valid for 30 days after the expiry of the period of the visit - DHA.
  • Travellers should ensure that they declare all goods in their possession with all necessary documentation such as invoices or proof of purchase. All imported second-hand clothing entering the country needs to be accompanied by a permit from DTI (Department of Trade & Industry) - SARS Customs.
  • All valuable items such as motorbikes, cameras and laptops are to be declared at Customs - SARS Customs. These items should also be securely stored.
  • No agricultural and animal products including live animals even for personal consumption are allowed to enter the country (RSA) without a permit. Such goods will be detained if permits are not available - Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF).
  • All corpses (bodies of deceased persons) need permits to enter the country - Mpumalanga Department of Health & Social Services (MDOH & SS).
  • Travellers going abroad or coming into the country are only allowed to bring medicine which will last for 30 days if they are in possession of the doctorís prescription - MDOH & SS.
  • People travelling to and from yellow fever countries (e.g. Angola, Congo, Nigeria, etc) must be in possession of a yellow fever certificate - MDOH & SS (Innoculation).
  • All RSA permit holders (work or study) are no longer allowed to claim a VAT refund when they export goods. They can only claim on expiry of their permit within 90 days period before their final departure from RSA - VAT Refund Administrators (VRA).

Port of Entry Requirement (Mozambique side)

  • Revenue or fees to be paid at Ressano-Garcia POE (Mozambique side) when entering.
    • Customs Fees - Non-Mozambicans pay R10.00 road tax for the vehicle. Goods entering Mozambique are liable for duties/taxes depending on the quantity and quality thereof.
    • Vehicle Insurance - Motorbike: R80.00, Vehicle: R150.00, Vehicle pulling a trailer or caravan: R230.00, Trucks or any vehicle carrying commercial goods: R200.00 and Trucks or any vehicle pulling a trailer carrying commercial goods: R300.00.
    • Currency - Rands and Meticals are accepted for payment of the above services.

Port of Entry Requirement (Swaziland side)

  • Swaziland Customs charges a road tax on all non-Swaziland registered vehicles entering Swaziland as follows: Vehicles (non-commercial): R50.00, Trucks and other commercial vehicles: R80.00.
    • Currency - Only Rands (only notes & silver coins) or Emalangeni are accepted for payment at Swaziland Ports of Entry.

It should further be noted that Mpumalanga Ports of Entry including those of neighbouring countries do not have credit card facilities (card swiping machines).

Take Note of Corruption

  • There are many individuals working on both sides of the border who are passing themselves off as government officials and who offer to complete documentation on behalf of travellers for a fee. These individuals are fraudsters and should be avoided categorically. Please also note that no fees are payable on either side of the border for the completion of documents. If you are unsure please ask a Border Post official for official identification and an official government receipt.
  • Please also do not use the runners at the Border Post who offer to speed your thoroughfare and jump the immigration queues for a fee. This makes you party to fraud and corruption and undermines the efforts of the relevant government departments to stamp out corruption and provide an effective service.
  • Important for drivers at all times to carry their driverís licence, proof of insurance and reimportation documents for bringing their vehicles back into SA.
  • It is advisable (though not a requirement) to obtain an international driverís licence for travel across the border, whether to Mozambique or to South Africa. These are available from the AA and most travel agents.
  • Third party insurance for South African vehicles crossing the border is compulsory and can be obtained from various outlets at the border and at Komatipoort, agents at the Lebombo Border Dry Port, as well as the BP garage on the N4 just before the Lebombo Border Post. These service providers will also assist with necessary documentation for your trip across the border. In the event of an accident involving a third party the first line of call is the insurance company.
  • Night-time travellers should be aware of pedestrians and stray animals on the road.
  • Officials at both Ports of Entry, i.e. Lebombo and Ressano Garcia, have requested that travellers do not use their parking spot at the Border Post as a point to take a refreshment break, as this contributes to the congestion of the facility. It is recommended that you stop for refreshment breaks before or after the Port of Entry.
  • Alternatively, tourists may want to travel to Mozambique via Swaziland through the Jeppes Reef Border Post (from the N4 just after Malelane) or the Mananga Border Post (from the N4 just after Komatipoort), crossing into Mozambique through the Lomahasha Border Post.

Important Information

Should travellers encounter difficulties with traffic police or other authorities en route to their destinations, particularly if these officers are attempting to illicit bribes or are threatening, you are advised to do the following:

  • Be as cooperative as possible.
  • Insist on a written or officially printed fine.
  • Donít pay the fine to the police officer, but take it to the nearest police station for payment and get an official receipt; stamped if possible.
  • If the police/traffic officers request a bribe, ensure that you take the name of the officer, and ensure that the location and time of the road block is noted. Without this information there can be no recourse.
  • Do not pay the bribe!
  • If in Mozambique, report this to the SA High Commission (RSA citizens only) or pass it on to MCLI to take up. If police insist on escorting you to the nearest police station, or if you are unsure of the legitimacy of the charge, (the escort may often not be the closest police station) call the SA High Commission in Maputo on +258 21 490 059 or their after-hours duty officer on +258 84 304 4600 for advice.
  • If in South Africa, the same principles apply and incidents should be reported to the Mpumalanga Traffic Department on their hotline 0800 202 775.
  • TRAC Help Desk (N4 and EN4 Only).
    If you are involved in an accident, have a flat tyre, overheated engine or smashed windscreen, dial for assistance from the TRAC rescue team nearest to you:
    • South Africa (N4): 0800-8722-64 (0800-TRAC-N4) or +27 (082) 881 4444
    • Mozambique (EN4): +258 84 343 4346 or +258 82 303 4303
  • Governmental Anti-Corruption/Fraud Hotline Numbers:
    • Department of Home Affairs (DHA), Department of Health (DOH), Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF): 0800 701 701
    • South Africa Revenue Services (SARS): 0800 002 870
    • South African Police Services (SAPS): 0860 010 111
    • National Intelligence Agency (NIA): 012 427 4903 (
    • ICASA: 0800 205 095
    • Mozambique Customs Green Line: 800 000 800
    • The IOMís Southern African Counter-Trafficking Assistance Programme (SACTAP):
      • Mozambique Regional Office: +258 21 310 779
      • South Africa Regional Office: +27 (012) 342 2789
      • Swaziland Regional Office: +263 4 335 044/048
Roadside assist | Tools & guides | Travel | Legal | Sitemap