Frequently Asked Questions
Please see our FAQs below relating to:
- Your AA Membership
- AA Membership for Your Family
- Updating Your AA Membership
- Contacting the AA
- Accessing your benefits
- Your towing benefits
- Your AA Membership subscription
- AA Membership options
- Travelling with the AA
- IDP Application
1. When is my AA Membership activated?
You can rest assured knowing that your cover will be activated as soon as your payment is received. Please note that AA Advantage Plus, AA Advantage and AA Alliance Members core benefits will be available as soon as your payment has been received however, your extended benefits will be activated after 72 hours, as we require a little longer to confirm your access. Remember that EFT payments can take up to 48 hours to reflect in our bank account before it is updated on your AA Membership.
2. What can I expect when I sign up as an AA Member?
- You will receive an e-mail/SMS welcoming you as an AA Member, and providing our contact details and your 9-digit AA Membership number for easy reference.
- Your link to download your NEW AA digital Membership card, the AA eCard, will be sent once it is ready for you to download.
- Should you require a physical AA Membership card, simply call 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8am and 5pm, to request one.
3. What happens if I need assistance before I receive my AA Membership card?
Should you require assistance before obtaining your Membership card, we’ll gladly provide the help you need. Simply call us on 0861 000 234 and give us your ID number to access your benefits. You will be required to answer a few questions to validate your AA Membership.
4. Does my AA Membership card expire?
Your AA Membership card has no expiry date and gives you on-going access to services, as long as your Membership is up to date.
5. What if my AA Membership card is lost, stolen or damaged?
If you need a new AA Membership card, you can request your link to download your digital AA Membership card through our call centre by calling 0861 000 234, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require a plastic AA Membership card, this will be provided on request at a cost of R25. Simply call 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8am and 5pm, to let us know.
6. How can I obtain a ‘Do Not Tow’ sticker or license disc holder?
Call us on 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8am and 5pm, to let us know.
A ‘Do Not Tow’ sticker will indicate that you are covered by the AA, and that other service providers should not attempt to provide a tow, so ensuring the safety of your vehicle and not subjecting you to costs that you need not incur.
A license disc holder carries the AA’s emergency contact details, so that they’ll always be at hand, and to confirm your AA Membership should you be unable to do so.
AA Membership for Your Family…
7. Do you have products for my spouse and children?
If you are a paid up AA Member, your spouse and dependants under 25 may take advantage of the range of benefits AA Membership provides at a 40% discount off the AA Membership rate, they may choose from one of the following options:
- AA Advantage Membership at only R111.50 per month for unlimited call-outs a year, plus a range of extended benefits such as overnight accommodation or 24-hour car hire and vehicle repatriation.
- AA Advantage Plus Membership at only R189.50 per month for unlimited call-outs at 200 kilometre round-trip coverage a year, accident & attempted theft towing, overnight accommodation or 24-hour car hire and vehicle repatriation or long distance towing over 100km’s, free subscription to AA Stand By You® roadside security as well as the AA traveller® Magazine.
- If you have family members 60 years and over, who travel less frequently, they may prefer our AA Alliance Membership, giving them peace of mind at a price to suit their pocket. This Membership provides no spouse and dependant discounted Membership rate.
Call us on 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8am and 5pm, to arrange. Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer, and will be available after 72 hours.
8. Do you have products for my spouse and children?
Should any of your immediate family members wish to take advantage of the range of benefits AA Membership provides, they may choose from one of the following options:
- If you are a paid up AA Member, your spouse may take advantage of a 40% discount off the AA Membership rate.
- Your children aged 25 years and under may take out AA Action Membership at only R88.50 a month for 2 call-outs a year, plus a range of core benefits.
- Any of your family members may choose to take up our AA Advantage or AA Advantage+, AA 60+ Advantage+, AA 60+ Advantage or AA Action Membership and benefit from immediate cover.
- If you have family members 60 years and over, who travel less frequently, they may prefer our AA Alliance Membership, giving them peace of mind at a price to suit their pocket.
- If you are not an AA Advantage Plus Member, you may subscribe to the AA Traveller Magazine at only R12.50 a month, or to AA Stand By You roadside security, at only R48 per month.
Please click here, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm to arrange additional Membership or to upgrade your benefits with immediate effect, as soon as your payment is received. Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer, and will be available after 72 hours.
9. How do I update my personal details?
It’s important to keep your personal details up to date in the event of an emergency, so that we don’t have to spend time getting your correct information when you call for assistance. You can update your details by calling 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm, or click here. Or if you prefer, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores.
10. Can I upgrade my AA Membership?
You can upgrade your Membership at any time. Please click here, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm. Or, if you prefer, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores. You will receive immediate access to core benefits, as soon as your payment has been received. Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer, and will be available after 72 hours.
11. Can I make changes to my AA Membership?
Changes to your AA Membership, other than upgrading your Membership, can only be made at the end of your service period, when you renew your Membership.
12. Am I able to transfer my AA Membership?
AA Membership is not transferrable. It is not attached to any specific vehicle however, covers you in any vehicle you may drive.
13. Do I need to update my motor vehicle details?
To avoid spending time adding your vehicle details when you call for roadside assistance, simply call us on 0861 000 234 or e-mail us at email@example.com, to update your vehicle details.
14. How do I get in contact with the AA?
You can save the following national contact details on your phone, or save the number to speed dial so you’ll have access at the touch of a button:
15. What number do I phone in case of an emergency?
You can call us on 0861 000 234, or click the panic button on your AA Rescue mobi app for us to contact you and avoid wasting time providing your details.
16. What details do I need to provide if I call the AA for assistance?
In order to give you quick and efficient assistance, please have your AA Membership number handy. If you do not have it with you, we’ll be able to confirm your Membership using your ID number. When call-outs are needed, we’ll need to know the type of assistance you require, your exact location and destination details, as well as your vehicle details, so that we can find you easily.
17. How long will it take the AA to get to me?
We will get to you as quickly as possible by dispatching the first available and closest vehicle to your assistance. The response time will vary depending on traffic and incident volumes, as well as your location and the prevailing weather conditions. The AA Emergency Call Centre dispatch team will advise you of the estimated time of arrival when you call.
18. What AA Membership services can I access online?
The following additional information and services are available online. Click on the link to go directly to the service you require:
19. What if I am not present at my vehicle when assistance is required?
Your AA Membership is personal to you, meaning that YOU are covered and not the vehicle, so you do need to be present when assistance is required. No other person can use your AA Membership card or access your benefits.
20. Can my friends and family request assistance?
Your friends and family can use AA services to help them:
- They may request assistance by calling us on 0861 000 234. One of our helpful consultants will assist and provide a quote for the service required and assistance can then be dispatched immediately.
- They may call us on 0861 000 234 and arrange to take up AA Membership with access to core benefits immediately by making payment on the phone or through our roadside patrol technicians. Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer, and will be available after 72 hours.
21. Am I still covered if I am a passenger in someone else’s car?
Your AA Membership covers YOU and not your car. This means that you can take advantage of all the AA’s benefits and services regardless of whether you are the driver or passenger, in your car or someone else’s vehicle.
22. What if I have used all my call-outs for the year?
The AA will always assist you even if you have already used all your call-out entitlements for your Membership year. The AA Emergency Call Centre dispatch team will quote you at AA preferential rates.
23. What does my AA breakdown towing benefit cover?
Your AA Membership breakdown towing benefit covers a distance from the scene of the breakdown to the drop off point of your vehicle.
We will tow your vehicle to the nearest place of safety or repair according to your Membership entitlements. You are personally liable for the cost of any additional kilometres over and above your kilometre allowance, which will be charged at AA Member discounted rates.
If you are an AA Advantage Plus, AA Advantage or AA Alliance Member, then the same rules apply however, should you break down more than 100 kms from home, if your vehicle is involved in an accident or any insurable risk incident your extended benefits will apply:
Overnight accommodation for you and up to 4 passengers; or 24-hour car hire and vehicle repatriation; or long distance towing at AA Member discounted rates if you are not an AA Advantage Plus Member.
24. What is accident towing and when does it apply?
The AA Accident Recovery Towing Service applies when:
- there is damage to the body panels or the undercarriage, wheels or suspension of your vehicle, as a result of a collision with another vehicle, pothole, or other object; or,
- the accident occurs as a result of an electrical or mechanical failure of your vehicle, or the vehicle caught on fire; or,
- your vehicle is not able to be driven as a result of damage incurred during an attempted theft, kerb related damage, windscreen repairs as a result of an accident, stone damage, hail damage or water damage however, based on the circumstances surrounding the incident the AA, at its own discretion, may assess the degree of damage caused before classifying this as an accident.
Accident towing benefits are available at preferential rates to AA Members, and free of charge to all AA Advantage Plus Members.
If you would like to upgrade to AA Advantage Plus Membership, to ensure that you will be covered free of charge for AA Accident Towing Services, visit www.aa.co.za, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays from 8am to 5pm. Or, if you prefer, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores. You will have immediate access to core benefits as soon as your payment is received, and to our range of extended benefits after only 72 hours.
25. Does my AA Membership provide for car hire?
In the event of a breakdown more than 100km from home, or accident, the AA may arrange car hire for you at your request:
- For AA Advantage Plus, AA Advantage and AA Alliance Members who break down more than 100km away from home, and where the vehicle cannot be repaired the same day, you may qualify for 24 hours free car hire (group B).
- If you are an AA Action Member, or if the incident took place less than 100km away from home, the AA will arrange car hire for you at AA Member discounted rates.
26. When do I pay my AA Membership subscription?
- If you have signed up for an annual cash subscription, your AA Membership renewal payment should be received before the expiry date to ensure uninterrupted cover. You will receive a renewal statement one month before the expiry date to remind you that your payment is due.
- If you selected to pay by recurring monthly debit order, your AA Membership will be automatically renewed each year on your anniversary, and your monthly debit order continue as before.
- If you pay by recurring annual debit order, your AA Membership subscription will automatically debited from your bank account one month before your Membership anniversary date.
27. How can I pay my AA Membership subscription?
There are several easy payment options available:
- EFT or direct deposit at any First National Bank branch
- Credit/Debit card
Feel free to call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm and one of our consultants will assist you over the phone, or alternatively, visit any of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores.
- Debit Order
Join online here, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm, to arrange payment by debit order. Alternatively, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores. You will have immediate access to core benefits as soon as your payment is received and to our range of extended benefits after 72 hours.
You may also pay at your convenience via EasyPay at any Pick ‘n Pay, Spar, Shoprite, Checkers, Checkers Hyper, Lewis or Woolworths store.
28. Can I get a Tax Invoice?
Please call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm, and we will gladly assist you, or request a tax invoice by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
29. What will happen if my AA Membership subscription is not up to date?
Your AA Membership subscription must be fully paid up for you to have continued and uninterrupted access to your benefits. If your Membership is not up to date at the time of requesting roadside assistance you will be asked to pay.
30. What is the process to follow if I want to cancel my AA Membership?
You may cancel your AA Membership by providing 30 days notice prior your Membership anniversary date to avoid any cancellation fees. Should you wish to cancel your Membership within your current 12-month subscription period you may remain liable for any amounts incurred in the rendering of services during the current Membership subscription period, as well as a cancellation fee, which will be calculated at the time of cancellation.
Call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm, or send your request together with the reason for your cancellation by email at email@example.com.
31. What is the standard AA Membership option?
AA Advantage provides peace-of-mind cover with unlimited call-outs per 12 months with a 50kms tow distance. It includes all our main benefits, as well as overnight accommodation and car hire.
32. What AA Membership option do you have for over 60’s?
AA Alliance Membership is specially designed for those aged 60 years and over, who travel less frequently. It provides a range of emergency benefits at a rate to suit your pocket, including unlimited roadside assistances per Membership year as well as overnight accommodation or car hire and vehicle repatriation.
This option is available exclusively to all AA Members who are over 60 years of age upon their request, so please call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8am and 5pm, if you would like to change your Membership to this option.
33. What additional services can I expect from AA Advantage Plus Membership?
AA Advantage+ Membership provides a wide-ranging package of on-the-road services, including all of our core services, as well as many value-added extended benefits such as:
- 200 kilometre round trip coverage
- Unlimited call-outs per Membership year
- Accident and attempted theft recovery towing
- AA Stand By You® roadside security
- Subscription to the AA traveller® quarterly Magazine
- Overnight accommodation for you and up to 4 passengers; or 24-hour car hire and vehicle repatriation; or long distance. These benefits are deducted from an annual extended benefit kitty amount, which will be explained to you upon your telephonic renewal and in your Membership terms and conditions available on our website at www.aa.co.za.
34. Where can I get an International Driving Permit (IDP)?
You can obtain an IDP at the AA shop at our Head Office at Kyalami Racetrack in Midrand, or at any of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores nationwide.
35. What documents do I need when I apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP)?
So that we can issue your IDP on the spot, we will need you to bring a few documents with you. Since these vary according to the country of your destination, please click here to see the specific requirements for each country.
36. I am travelling to a neighbouring country, what services will be available to me?
While the AA provides services in South Africa, towing of vehicles in the event of a breakdown can be arranged in Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia. Your vehicle will be towed to the nearest place of safety or repair, subject to the availability of a suitable service provider according to your Membership entitlements.Please note that these services cannot be guaranteed. Should you have an emergency, please call 0861 000 234, and you will receive assistance where possible. Further details and the terms and conditions of out-of-country benefits are available on www.aa.co.za.
37. If I am travelling overseas, will I be assisted in the country I am going to visit?
The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) is the worldwide organisation of Touring Clubs and Automobile Associations. FIA clubs are under agreement to provide a broad range of services to Members from all partner clubs and associations travelling abroad for a period of three months at any one time.
These services may vary from club to club, but will generally be the same as those provided by clubs to their own Members. Kindly refer to the FIA websitefor more information.
38. Can the AA assist me with information on road conditions?
AA Travel Department can assist Members with providing information on a range of topics, including road conditions, maps, travel routes, holiday arrangements, car hire as well as valuable information on motoring and travel. Please note that this service is only available in South Africa. Call 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8am and 5pm for assistance.
39. Can the AA assist me with preparations for cross-border travel?
If you are going to be travelling through Southern Africa by road, you should be aware of all the relevant preparations you’ll need to make to keep you safe, and to ensure your journey is trouble-free.
The AA Travel Department can provide you with all the details you’ll need from visa regulations to precautions, as well as the paperwork required to take your vehicle across the border. Call us on 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8am and 5pm for assistance, or click here for more details.