Short on Valentine’s Day ideas? Treat yourself and your loved one to a romantic Valentine’s weekend getaway! Check out these romantic destinations in South Africa to turn the dial up on your love life…
1. Weekend getaways from Cape Town
From beaches and mountains to wine estates and quaint farms, you’re spoiled for choice for a Valentine’s weekend in the Western Cape. Just a short drive from Cape Town, these romantic destinations are sure to inspire some loved-up Valentine’s Day ideas:
- Franschhoek: the culinary capital of South Africa sets the scene for a deliciously romantic getaway. Stay at La Terra de Luc on a private estate and soak up the views of the surrounding mountains from your patio.
- Swellendam: surrounded by beautiful gardens, your 4-star accommodation at the Swellendam Country Lodge is the perfect romantic destination to relax, unwind, and indulge in each other.
- Jacobsbaai: the charming West Coast village of Jacobsbaai, with its traditional lime-washed houses and breathtaking coastline, is a delightfully secluded destination for romantic getaways from Cape Town. Stay at Whispering Whale and soak up the sea views from your luxuriously appointed self-catering accommodation.
2. Romantic destinations near Durban
Subtropical forests, mangrove swamps, sandy beaches, rolling green hills and snow-covered mountains… KwaZulu-Natal is probably South Africa’s most scenically diverse province, giving you a wide choice of backdrops against which to set the scene for romance. Check out our pick of Valentine’s weekend getaways in KZN:
- Umhlanga Rocks: encapsulating the warmth and friendliness of the coastal town it calls home, uShaka Manor Guest House is known for generous hospitality and personal service. Perfect for a loved up weekend, relax beside the rock swimming pool with a cocktail, stroll through the tropical garden straight onto the beach, and end off the evening in the plush lounge.
- Dargle: only an hour and a half from Durban, the quaint Crab Apple Cottages are set on the edge of the Kilgobbin Forest and the Dargle Valley Conservancy. With only three cottages available, you’re guaranteed a secluded romantic weekend getaway.
- Trafalgar: the 5-star Days at Sea Beach Lodge in Trafalgar is a must-go Valentine’s weekend destination near Durban. Luxury accommodation promises ultimate comfort; be sure to ask for the suite with its own jacuzzi and swimming pool!
3. Valentine’s getaways from Johannesburg
This Valentine’s Day, get out of the city! Set your GPS coordinates for L.O.V.E and head to one of these romantic destinations near Johannesburg:
- Magaliesburg: book a luxury suite at the Valley Lodge and Spa on the banks of the Magalies River. Clink cocktails on your private balcony overlooking the lush grounds before enjoying a treatment at the in-house spa. Romance? Sorted.
- Dinokeng Game Reserve: surrounded by lush bushveld, the Zebra Country Lodge offers a tranquil and romantic getaway near Joburg.
What are your Valentine’s Day plans? No matter where you go for your romantic Valentine’s weekend, we are with you every kilometre of the way, To arrive #AAOkay, be sure to subscribe to AA Alerts for all the road safety information you need, delivered straight to your inbox.