Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need travel insurance?
You leave behind everything that is familiar - your home, parents, loved ones and doctors. One call to Europ Assistance will keep you covered 24 hours a day, worldwide, for those unforeseen situations.
Will you be able to pay for those unforeseen medical expenses, flight delays, theft of luggage, baggage delays, etc? If you canít afford travel insurance, can you really afford to travel?

Am I covered for pre-existing conditions?
Yes, you will be covered for pre-existing medical cover provided you are hospitalised for more than 48 hours and you are not travelling against the advice of a doctor. There are limits to pre-existing benefits and the different options of cover provide different limits. Luxury Leisure Cover and Business Complete Cover provide the highest levels of cover of R500,000.

What must I do in the event of a claim?
Europ Assistance South Africa is our claims assistance partner and manages claims on our behalf. If you have a medical emergency while you are on your journey, call Europ Assistance on +27 11 991 8419 immediately and they will assist you.
Non-medical or non-emergency claims can be submitted upon your return back to South Africa. Contact Europ Assistance on +21 11 991 8419 or e-mail them at .  A claim form will be sent to you, which must be completed and submitted back to this email address along with all supporting documents.

A claim must be submitted to us within 60 days of your return back to South Africa.

Can I extend my policy whilst I am overseas?
Yes, provided you had no claims and the policy did not expire, the policy will be extended.

When should I purchase my travel insurance?
When you purchase your airline ticket, you must purchase your travel insurance. Cancellation cover is effective from the date of purchase.

Under the family cover, do children share cover?
The spouse and husband are fully covered whilst children under the age of 21 share benefits. For example, if the limit of cover for Loss of Baggage is R10,000 per adult, the total limit amount of R20,000 is shared between the two adults and the children. Children are able to be covered fully on an individual policy if required.

I have left country, can I purchase whilst abroad?
No, you cannot purchase travel insurance if you have already departed from the country.

Q: I'm going on a snowboarding adventure holiday. Should I take out special travel insurance for this?
A: Itís critical to check the benefits provided by your travel insurance policy. You need to ensure your policy includes cover for adventure activities but this cover does not include every type of sport. Please contact the Regent Travel Call Centre on 0861 900 801 for all the details.

Q: If my car breaks down when I am in the bush, will my travel insurance cover this?
A: No. Travel insurance only covers loss or damage to luggage and personal belongings carried with you on a journey. A motor vehicle is not a luggage item or ďpersonal belongingĒ.

Q: I'm going hiking in a remote area. Do I need special insurance in case I fall and need to be airlifted to receive medical treatment?
A: Regentís travel insurance policies include hiking, but not in every instance. Please contact the Regent Travel Call Centre on 0861 900 801 for all the details.

Q: I'm renting a car overseas Ė do I need to take out insurance with the rental company?
A: Most of our travel insurance policies will not cover a rented vehicle for loss or damages. You need to arrange this cover with the car rental company directly.

Q: If I leave my laptop in my luggage and itís stolen, will my travel insurance cover this?A: Our policies do not cover loss or damage to a laptop or camera when stored in your luggage, because of the high risk.  A laptop or camera must be kept on your person at all times to ensure safety from damage and loss. 

Download the AA eCard app | Roadside assist | Tools & guides | Travel | Legal | Sitemap